Monday, January 09, 2017

2017 State Of The Ramblings

12 years. That's how long this silly blog has been around. 12 years is a really long time for a blog. Are there even new blogs anymore? Josh recently lamented the fact that there aren't many personal blogs anymore. They seem to be either subject-specific (sports teams, "mommy" blogs, etc.) or corporate/business blogs. Yet, Sean's Ramblings marches on.

So what can I write about the past year? I wrote fewer posts than ever before, though I still managed over 100 posts. I've found that "short" posts work best on Twitter or my Facebook page. These are essentially videos or a couple of sentences about a subject. However, I just don't have the time to write "longer" posts anymore. For example, I really want to share my experience in Nashville during the most-recent hockey road trip, but nearly 6 weeks after I returned home, the post hasn't happened yet. Instead, most of my posts are just a few paragraphs or a video with a longer narrative than 140 characters.


My favorite posts from the past year were actually my interviews. They probably qualify as "longer" posts but since I'm not writing most of the text, it doesn't feel that way. Thanks again to Ron, author of Steelers Takeaways, Dane Fischer, Assistant Basketball Coach at George Mason University, Vinny, the Gamenight DJ for the Pittsburgh Penguins, and Ellen, live in New Hampshire before the primary elections, for taking the time to answer my questions. I also had a few posts about being a dad. However, the "highlight" of the year was getting a cease and desist from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. What an honor! I'm going to blame Drake.


With all of that written, I still have big ideas. Although getting press credentials for the Oscars didn't work out, I've love to cover an awards show. Maybe the Grammys or People's Choice Awards. I don't know, something. Are there any award shows in DC? Maybe something live in New York which would be a lot easier (and cheaper) to get to than LA. Actually, covering a sporting event would be cool too. There has to be some DC area or Pittsburgh sports team that want to give me press credentials!

Thanks to all of you for your support the past 12 years. It's greatly appreciated!

No comments: