Monday, August 03, 2015

Hogan's Such A Yo-Yo

I watched a lot of wrestling when I was in middle school/junior high. Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, The Junkyard Dog, The Ultimate Warrior, The British Bulldogs, King Kong Bundy, Hacksaw Jim Duggan and so many others including Rowdy Roddy Piper who passed away on Friday at the age of 61. Despite attending several WWF matches at Pittsburgh's Civic Arena, watching some early Wrestlemanias via my friend's parents getting them on Pay Per View and even watching the Saturday morning WWF cartoon, for no apparent reason, the thing I remember most about Rowdy Roddy Piper is this one line (at around the :40 second mark below) from Land of 1000 Dances performed by WWF wrestlers.



I always thought this was a silly line. Is calling someone a yo-yo really an insult? I also had in my mind the perfect comeback for Hogan. He could have said that Piper's Such a Diaper. Of course, that makes just as much sense as calling someone a yo-yo.

RIP Rowdy Roddy Piper.

No comments: