Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Can You Train For A 5K In 5 Days?

This time of year, my Facebook timeline is filled with people running or preparing to run marathons, half-marathons, 10Ks, 5Ks and even a few Ironman races (and one combination yoga/beer event). While I'm not necessarily trying to keep up with these folks, I am signed up for a 5K this weekend. I ran this same 5K three years ago, so my goal is simply to beat my time from that race. Of course, now that we're 5 days away from the event, I should probably start preparing. This is where you come in.

So is it truly possible to train for a race in 5 days? I know I'm not running the Boston Marathon, and I'm not concerned about not finishing, but I would prefer to not feel nauseous or exhausted during or after the race. I should also mention that I'm not completely out of shape. I've worked some games as a soccer referee this spring, though that involves sprinting, walking, jogging, stopping and sometimes doing some of these backwards. That's definitely not the same as running for three continuous miles.

So any advice? Should I try to run this week to prepare for Sunday? Should I not run on Saturday so that I'm somewhat fresh (meaning not sore) on Sunday? Is there anything special I should eat or not eat on Saturday night and Sunday morning? I generally have a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios to start the day, but I can switch to Lucky Charms if that will help improve my time.

Thanks in advance for your help.

No comments: