Friday, July 21, 2017

Friday Video: Linkin Park

In the spring of 2001, I was a full-time graduate student with three part-time jobs, a long distance relationship, and no solid prospects for what I was going to do after graduation. I also disliked my boss at my primary job. I don't remember why, but at some point, she asked me to show her my schedule over a several day period. Maybe she thought I wasn't doing enough at the job or she was actually concerned about my well being (though I doubt the latter), but I remember she criticized me about my time management, particularly for working 8 hours at a different job over the weekend. Maybe she didn't think I needed a second or third job or that I didn't need to spend an entire night writing a paper?

Anyway, what helped me get through this time was the song called One Step Closer by Linkin Park. It was exactly how I was feeling at the time, especially in my relationship with my boss. It felt good to sing (or scream) along with the song when I heard it on the radio.



Linkin Park's Chester Bennington passed away Thursday in an apparent suicide. The band's music will live on, but this is another sad example of someone gone too soon.

If you or someone you know needs to talk to someone, contact the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention at afsp.org or 1-800-273-8255 (TALK.)

I also feel like sharing Linkin Park's Faint since this is a great song too.

No comments: