Friday, January 16, 2015

New 49ers Coach Coached at My High School

Anytime that a someone who was a coach at my high school while I was still attending high school gets a job as an NFL head coach, I'm going to blog about it. Congratulations to Jim Tomsula, who worked as the defensive line coach at Woodland Hills High School in 1990, on becoming the head coach of the San Francisco 49ers!

I decided to find my 1991 high school yearbook (for the 1990-1991 school year) to find a picture of Coach Tomsula. Here it is:


Um, Coach Tomsula isn't pictured or even listed as missing. Was he not a coach at Woodland Hills? Did he lie on his resume? Did I uncover some major news here?

I contacted a friend that was on the football team to see if he knew Coach Tomsula. He replied, "I had to see a pic. Yep. I remember him now. He was a defensive coach. Cool guy."

Since there is no scandal, I'll just post a picture of Jason Taylor, formerly of the Miami Dolphins and Dancing With the Stars, as a member of the basketball team instead. (I don't think he was on the football team until his junior or senior year.)


I also learned that Tomsula once lived in his car with a dog, cat and litter box.

While serving as a volunteer assistant coach at his alma mater, Catawba College in Salisbury, N.C., Tomsula sent the family to Florida to temporarily live with relatives.

He slept in his car, an old red Cadillac.

Along with the family dog, cat, pet food and litter box.

I'm sure that he can now afford a much bigger car to live in with the family pets!

No comments: