Thursday, July 31, 2014

Baby Born In Toilet; This Is News?

Today's Washington Post Express included a brief article about a Connecticut baby being born in a toilet. From doing a quick search online, I found this story appeared in many places including the New York Daily News, the UK's Daily Mail, USA Today, and The Huffington Post. Here's the story from NBC Connecticut:

A West Haven mother who went into labor shortly after being sent home from the hospital because she was told she wasn't ready to deliver, ended up giving birth at home.

Lillie Davis told her husband, David, she wasn't going to make it back to the hospital, so Dad did what he could: he delivered the baby in the bathroom.

Not long after a visit to Lillie's doctor at Griffin Hospital in Derby on Friday, after a nurse evaluated her and told her the baby wasn't ready yet, Lillie began to feel labor pains in the bathroom, so Davis called 911.

"Once I got off the phone with them, she said she had the feel...felt the need to push," David Davis said.

So, that meant it was up to David to deliver the baby in the bathroom.

"And thank God we were near the toilet because she slid...the baby slipped through my hands and actually went into the water...crying like that," he said. "So, when I heard those sounds, I knew that was like the best sounds I ever heard in my life."

It happened fast and David had to act quickly, but all ended well and his wife and newborn baby, Livia are doing well. Livia, weighs 7 pounds and 6 ounces.




I know of a case of a Pittsburgh baby born in a toilet 30-some years ago. I don't think there is any news coverage of this birth (unless you now count Sean's Ramblings).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really felt the need to publish that?

Sean said...

That's exactly my point! Why is this news and why am I writing about this?

Who am I? Why am I here? (The only VP debate line I'll ever remember besides the you are no Jack Kennedy line.)