Although there are multiple credit cards in my household, we tend to use one credit card significantly more than the rest. This credit card company also provides a year-end statement showing how we spent our money which you can sort by individual retailers or category (groceries, travel, etc.). I shared the places where we spent the most money in 2011, so I thought I would bring this back for 2012.
1. Wegmans - I'm generally at Wegmans at least once a week. We also tend to take friends and family from out of town here so they can enjoy the Wegmans experience. I'm not kidding.
2. Target - Kids are expensive. We like the Target diapers, and Target sells Ziggy's cat food for cheaper than anywhere else.
3. Amazon - Kids are expensive especially if you don't want to leave the house to buy stuff for them.
4. Sun Refining & Marketing (better known as Sunoco) - Remember when gas at $2 a gallon was high?
5. Costco - Call me if you need toilet paper.
6. Metro - There's just no way to avoid this expense. I guess I could drive to work, but then you would see Sunoco move up the list and a parking garage reach the top 10.
7. DirecTV - This is the only bill that is paid directly through the credit card as opposed to the bank account. I need to do some serious thinking next year (again) as to whether it makes sense to keep Sunday Ticket.
9. JetBlue - It looks like I did a lot of exotic traveling but the reality is that these are all trips to visit family. I'm scared to see where USAir and JetBlue fall in 2013 when we have to start buying a ticket for my child (kids under 2 fly free).
10. Old Navy - It was close, but Old Navy barely edged New Burgundy for the 10th spot.
Obviously things like rent, gas and electric would make this list, but as I mentioned under DirecTV, we don't use our credit card to pay those bills. Overall, this is a fairly boring list. It would be nice to have some excitement and show international travel, luxury hotels, fancy restaurants, or sports or theater tickets, but that's not where I am in my life. I tend to think that eight, nine or even all 10 of these companies stay on this list in 2013.
Where did you use your credit card the most in 2012?