Monday, November 26, 2012

Where In The World Is Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala?

Watching Sunday's Pittsburgh Steelers game was not a fun experience unless you are a Cleveland Browns fan, I guess. Even in that case, are you really happy about your team's 3-8 record after going 18-46 the past four seasons? At least you have a "young" team led by a rookie 29 year-old QB.

Getting back to the Steelers, if you enjoy watching a professional team have eight turnovers in one game, then perhaps you did enjoy seeing the Steelers on Sunday. The fact that all four Steelers running backs lost a fumble may be unprecedented in NFL history. With the running backs struggling and likely a lack of confidence among the group, may I suggest bringing back fan favorite Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala?



Sure, Fuamatu-Ma'afala hasn't played professional football since 2004, but in 227 career rushing attempts and 43 receptions, Fuamatu-Ma'afala never lost a fumble. Plus, it's fun saying and writing Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala! Even if he can't play professionally anymore (though at 35, Fuamatu-Ma'afala is younger than Charlie Batch), could he at least come back to give a motivational speech to the team?

Curious as to what Fuamatu-Ma'afala is up to these days? After conducting a thorough internet search, I found that Steelers.com published this article last year about Fuamatu-Ma'afala:

What are you currently doing?
Working with youth sports for the U.S. Army on the bases in Hawaii. They have three bases on the Island of Oahu and we run all of the youth sports programs. We work with kids ages 3-17 and try to counsel them about their parents being deployed.

What is the fondest memory from your playing career?
It would be being in the locker room, hanging out with the guys and getting ready for the games. That is what I miss the most.

What was your best game?
My best moment was a game when we played Cleveland. I was doing special teams. Amos (Zereoue) was doing third down. We had the two-minute drill. Amos got hurt and I had to go in for him on the last drive to go ahead and help us win the game. I guess that would be my best moment.

What made playing for the Steelers special?
It’s very family-oriented. The organization from top to bottom respects everybody. When I went to Jacksonville it didn’t feel the same. Everybody says the same when they leave Pittsburgh. This will always be my second home. It was a great experience.

Teammates you were closest to during your playing days?
Kimo von Oelhoffen, Levon Kirkland…there were so many friendships with all of those guys.

Teammate who was the biggest character?
Earl Holmes. He was off the chain. He is a funny guy. I heard he is doing good coaching in college now. I am happy for him.

Do you still keep in touch with former teammates?
I do. I talk to Troy Edwards a lot. It’s fun talking and sharing old stories with the guys.

Do you still follow the Steelers and if so, how closely?
I do always. In Hawaii, nobody remembers me playing for the Jaguars. Everything was all about Pittsburgh. I am glad it’s like that. I want to be remembered as a Steeler.


Free Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's pretty cool. I miss the big guy.

getfreshdesigns said...

still talks to troy edwards. that's great.

every time he had his shot at being the guy, I swear he got hurt.