Thursday, June 21, 2012

Found In My Basement: Bobby Bonilla

This might be my favorite title of any posts over the 7+ years of this blog's existence. In case you're wondering, however, former Pittsburgh Pirate Bobby Bonilla is not in my basement.

As I mentioned yesterday, I’m trying to find a journal containing my deepest thoughts and feelings from the road trip I took 15 years ago. Sure, deepest thoughts and feeling might be a stretch, but at least I can see how I felt about the song The Freshmen by Verve Pipe in 1997. While the search for the journal continues, I found this autographed picture of Bobby Bonilla from 1987.



I have no idea when or if I met Bobby Bonilla or if my Dad got this autograph for me from a Bonilla appearance at somewhere like Giant Eagle. In case you can’t read Bobby Bo’s message, he wrote “Sean, Keep hitting those homers.” While that was a very kind message from the 6-time All-Star, I never hit a home run in my baseball career which ended after Little League where I probably led the league in walks and strikeouts. (I had a good eye including watching pitches get called for strikes; for the record, the pitches were always low.)

If you’re wondering where Bonilla is these days, I have no idea. You’ll be happy to know that he’s doing just fine though as the Mets are paying Bonilla $1,193,248.20 every July 1 from 2011 to 2035! In addition, his son Brandon Bonilla, a left-handed pitcher, just finished his first year at Arizona State and has a Twitter account!

Please click here for more in the Found In My Basement series.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's awesome.