Monday, July 25, 2011

Found In My Basement: Mix Tape

I ran a series last year called Found In My Basement where I wrote about items that I, well, found in my basement. I thought it was a terrific idea, but then my camera broke, and I apparently stopped going into my basement. However, while trying to find one of Ziggy's toy mice (I have no idea where they are), I ran across some old cassette tapes including "Sean's Rogan's Mix" named after the pizza place in Ithaca, New York partly responsible for my freshman 15 and sophomore 15. This mix was probably made in the fall of 1993. Here are the contents of the tape:

Side A

American Pie - Don McLean
Sing Hallelujah - Dr. Alban
All That She Wants - Ace of Base
Hotel California - Eagles
Because the Night - 10,000 Maniacs
Fly Like an Eagle - Steve Miller Band
Mr. Vain - Culture Beat
Piano Man - Billy Joel
Down Under - Men at Work
Linger - Cranberries

Side B

Plush - Stone Temple Pilots
The Sounds of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel
Superman - John Williams & the Boston Pops
The Sign - Ace of Base
Everyday - Phil Collins
Orinoco Flow (Sail Away) - Enya
Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton
We Didn't Start the Fire - Billy Joel
Come Baby Come - K7
Roll the Bones - Rush

Wow! I have no idea where to begin. Not one, but two Ace of Base songs? Enya? Who puts an instrumental on a mix tape? Classic rock together with I guess what you could call club music at the time in Dr. Alban, Culture Beat and K7. How many of you have even heard of these performers? I hope to redeem myself in other mix tapes I created, but I'll have to do more searching in order to share what else I found in my basement. (A cliffhanger?)

By the way, if I created a new mix tape today, Land Down Under would still make the cut. All of a sudden, I feel like eating a Vegemite sandwich!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Sing Hallelujah - Dr. Alban and All That She Wants - Ace of Base are TOTALLY there because they were super-popular in Israel that summer of '93 when we were both there. :)

Anonymous said...

what are mixed tapes?

Sean said...

Amy - You are 100% correct. Another big song that summer: Sweat by Inner Circle (the band that sings the Cops' Bad Boys song).

Anonymous - Mixed tapes are when you put scotch, masking and duct tape together.