Monday, August 17, 2009

Dude! (and links)

I called a 16 year-old "dude" this weekend. I don’t use that word very often and it was certainly the first time I ever said dude in my role as a soccer referee. After I called a foul on this player (we’ll call him Steve; I have no idea what his name is), his opponent gave him a slight push. Nothing major and I thought the game would continue without any problems after I stopped anything from escalating at the scene of the crime. However, before the game restarted, Steve continued to talk trash at the opponent including asking him if he wanted a tissue for his tears. (I’m guessing Steve has waiting months to use this line.) And that’s when it happened. I went up to Steve and said, "Dude, calm down." He did calm down slightly, and fortunately, his coach substituted him out about a minute or two later.

Not the greatest story to start your week, so I hope these links will make up for it.

Bram interviewed Pittsburgh mayoral candidate Franco "Dok" Harris (part 1; part 2) [The Pittsburgh Comet]

Now that he's no longer working for NBC, Jerome Bettis returned to the NFL. Sort of. [D.C. Sports Bog]



Relive Tecmo and Cotter's trip to Steelers training camp. [One for the Other Thumb & PSAMP]

The Burgh Blog is returning on August 19! [The Burgh Blog]

The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins logo is awesome [This Is Getting Old]

Igloo Dreams has done an amazing analysis of all of the Three Stars from this past NHL season. Although I linked to the article about whether the MVP should be awarded using the Three Stars system, check out the entire series. [Igloo Dreams]

It's game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. What should I wear? Oh, how about this Winnipeg Jets jersey? [Empty Netters]



The World Police and Fire Games are coming to Reston...in 2015. [Restonian]

I think the Sports Chick should publish her undergrad thesis on baseball wives. [Sports Chick Blog]

Help the Western New York economy by going on a road trip to see the Pitt Panthers battle Buffalo (not the Bills). [Cat Basket]


Finally, I signed up for Twitter so that I could follow a friend. I'm not sure if I'm going to actually Tweet or not, but if I do, I'll let you know.

No comments: