Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Myron Cope 1929-2008

As every Pittsburgh Steeler fan knows, legendary broadcaster Myron Cope passed away this morning at the age of 79. I don’t have much to add to everything that has already been written (see the links below), but I do want to share a few memories. Besides listening to him during Steelers games and his radio shows, I loved watching Myron on WTAE perform his annual Christmas carol, make his weekly "Cope-ro-scope" prognosis, and of course, his "U Can’t Touch This" and "Achy Breaky Heart" parodies. I also saved a copy of the December 15, 2000 USA Today sports section because they ran a piece about Cope. There’s a great quote from the story:

When I did my first broadcast, I was shouting because it seemed impossible to me that people miles away driving on the parkway could hear me. I’ve been screaming ever since.

While it is a sad day for Steeler nation, there are a lot of great stories and memories out there inlcuding:

- The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette featues Myron's obituary by Gene Collier and a readers forum where fans share their Myron memories.

- WTAE (there are also links to Cope’s music videos on the right side of the page, but they aren’t working for me)

- Deadspin

- January 15, 2005 New York Times article

- Doubt About It

- Joey Porter’s Pit Bulls

- Tidbits and the Angry Consumer

Finally, this site has dozens of Myron’s sound bites through the years.

No comments: