Friday, January 25, 2008

Songs with Time

Every once in a while, I get an idea that I think would be brilliant to post here. In many cases, these ideas have to do with music (for example my list of the top songs of the 2000s and the 25 greatest Canadian musicians and my compilations of songs with alcohol in the title and songs with states in the title.) This time, I decided to create a list of songs that have a specific time in the lyrics. While Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper, Time Has Come Today by The Chambers Brothers, Time by Pink Floyd and Time by Hootie and the Blowfish all literally have “time” in the title, I’m looking for songs like Billy Joel’s Piano Man which starts with the line, “It’s 9 o’clock on a Saturday.”

Here’s what I’ve come up with thus far:

* Chicago - 25 or 6 to 4 (I still have no idea what this means)
* Matchbox 20 - 3 A.M.
* Simon and Garfunkel – Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M. and 7 O’clock News/Silent Night
* KLF – 3 A.M. Eternal
* Anna Nalick – Breathe (2 AM)
* Dolly Parton – 9 To 5
* Alan Jackson – It’s Five O’clock Somewhere
* U2 - 11 O'clock Tick Tock

* Bell Biv DeVoe – Do Me
"The time was 6 o'clock on the Swatch watch
No time to chill, got a date, can't be late
Hey, the girl is gonna do me"

* Destiny’s Child – Jumpin’ Jumpin’
And all you fellas leave your girl with her friends
Cause it's eleven thirty and the club is jumpin', jumpin'

* R. Kelly - Hotel
‘Cuz we`re having an after party, checkin` out 6 in the mornin`

* Bill Haley and His Comets - Rock Around the Clock
One, two, three o'clock, four o'clock, rock

* Jermaine Dupri & Ludacris - Welcome to Atlanta
And parties dont stop til' eight in the mornin'

* Ben Folds Five – Brick
6 am day after Christmas
I throw some clothes on in the dark

* The Bangles – Manic Monday
Six o'clock already
I was just in the middle of a dream

I thought I was putting together an excellent list until I found The Human Clock’s list of songs with time. After reviewing this catalog of dozens and dozens of songs, I quickly realized that I was wasting my own time. I guess my brilliant idea was not so brilliant. If you want to add songs in the comment section BEFORE you visit The Human Clock’s website, please feel free to do so.

1 comment:

Daisy said...

Miranda Lambert's Gunpowder and Lead:
It's half past ten, another six pack in
And I can feel the rumble like a cold black wind