Monday, March 26, 2007

Motown Philly Back Again

As part of my 2006-2007 sports adventure, I traveled to Philadelphia on Saturday for the Flyers-Islanders hockey game. Here are some notes from the trip:

* Even though I listened to CDs on most of my drive to and from Philly, I heard Carrie Underwood’s “Before He Cheats” three times on various radio stations. Can you say monster crossover hit?

* Of course, I also heard Toto’s “Hold the Line” (love isn’t always on time) twice, so maybe they are making a comeback.

* Philadelphia fans have a reputation as being some of the roughest and toughest in sports. From my sampling of one hockey game in Philadelphia, I was disappointed. There were a lot of fans dressed as empty seats. To be fair, the Flyers are terrible this year, plus it was an early game. I will give credit to the fans who booed the team with about 2 minutes remaining as the Flyers could not get the puck out of their zone.

* The song that played when Flyers came out for their warm-up: Loverboy’s “Working for the Weekend.” This seems like an extremely random song. Actually, since many of the players are Canadian (like Loverboy) maybe this gets them pumped up.

* I had a cheese steak, and it was good.

* The Flyers showed a feature on the scoreboard of Simon Gagne and his Lamborghini. It seems to me that a Lamborghini would be a useless car to drive around Philadelphia. There are a lot of narrow streets and he could never go that fast driving on I-95 at 4:30pm on a Thursday evening. Does Gagne take the Lamborghini to the grocery store?

Next on the sports trip:

Tuesday: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Washington Capitals at the Verizon/MCI/Phone Booth

Wednesday: Boston Celtics vs. Orlando Magic at the “new” Garden.

In case you were wondering, the Islanders won 4-3.


Paul said...


I went to Band Madness to check how it was going and they had a segment on the dumbest song ever and the author said "This is Why I'm Hot" by Mims. I have been saying this for weeks. In the comments, someone posted a link to the following article about the song. It is quite possibly the funniest thing I have EVER read. Kim and I were literally crying! I thought you would enjoy it. Be sure to have tissues nearby, because you will be in tears.,harvilla,76021,22.html

Sean said...

I've heard of Mims (I believe his name stands for Music is my Savior), but I don't think I've heard the song. Nevertheless, the article is really well done.

JQ said...

Honestly, I'm not sure showing Flyers with sports cars is a good idea considering goalie Pelle Lindbergh was killed in 1985 after crashing his Porsche.

Or maybe hockey players and sports cars in general since I used to live up the street from where Dany Heatley crashed his car and killed a teammate.

Sean said...

JQ - I completely forgot about Pelle Lindbergh. I have a feeling that the Flyers just wanted to do a feature on Gagne and maybe he didn't want to show everyone his house like it was an episode of MTV Cribs.