Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Metro Question

I like Metro. I take it to and from work everyday and rarely have complaints (my few complaints generally have to do with people riding Metro more than the system itself). I do have a question...According to this Metro press release, Metrorail ridership had over 783,000 trips last Friday, the seventh highest weekday ridership in the system’s 30-year history. In fact, last Tuesday (6/13), Wednesday, Thursday and Friday rank in the top 10 weekday ridership in Metro's history. So why after noticing the increase in ridership, is Metro running 4-car trains on the Orange line during rush hour? It happened during the AM rush (8:45am) this morning and during the PM rush yesterday (6:00pm).

I apologize for the readers outside the DC area who have no idea what I'm talking about.

2 comments:

Messiah said...

I seem to remember Metro saying that the Orange line would get 8-car trains followed by 4-car trains during rush hours. I think it's a test to see if it's any better than having all 6-car trains. They don't have extra cars to add at the moment, because any new cars they get simply replace old decrepit ones.

Nick said...

I'll remember that next time someone's oversized purse accidentally hits me in the 'package.' I get grumpy if I don't get a seat. I'm constantly grumpy.