Monday, May 01, 2006

NFL Draft Recap

I just have a few quick notes from this weekend's NFL draft related to the Steelers and more:

* I like the pick of Ohio State WR Santonio Holmes. He seemed to make big plays in every OSU game I saw him.

* I miss the days of 12 rounds of the NFL draft. Who made the decision to only make it 7 rounds? The NFL or ESPN?

* With some of the injury problems Ben has had, it was a good pick to take Bowling Green QB Omar Jacobs in the 5th round. Let me preface this by saying that I really like Charlie Batch; he's much better than people give him credit for. Anyway, here's the reason I like Jacobs: in 2004 he threw 41 TD passes and only 4 interceptions. He really "struggled" last year throwing 26 TDs and 7 interceptions. That's a great ratio on any level.

* Like previous star wide receivers at Pitt, Larry Fitzgerald and Antonio Bryant, Greg Lee decided to leave early to go to the NFL. Fitzgerald and Bryant both won the Fred Biletnikoff award for best college WR. Lee did not and did not get drafted at all yesterday. Not such a good move for Lee.

* Is there any list out there where I can find the free agent signings of undrafted players? The only thing I can find is that Jai Lewis is going to the Giants and that Connecticut basketball player Ed Nelson was signed by the Rams.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the postgazette.com had a list that pittsburgh signed today. Unsure where to find everyone else.
~Teala