Sunday, February 26, 2006

Black Eyed Peas

What is the biggest group that has emerged on music scene over the past three years? My answer is the Black Eyed Peas. While U2, Green Day and Destiny's Child have been huge, they have been together for years (or decades in the case of U2). Think about it. The Black Eyed Peas have had hit after hit after hit almost consistently over the past 2-3 years. Yes I know they had a song with Macy Gray in the late 90s (I think), but they really hit it big when Fergie joined the group in 2003 and "Where Is The Love" became the #1 song in the country. "Let's Get It Started" was all over the place from the Grammys to the NBA playoffs to the 2004 Democratic National Convention. "Don't Phunk With My Heart" and "My Humps" have also been big hits and the Best Buy commercials haven't hurt either.

Can you think of another "new" band that has been bigger than BEP over the past few years?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd say maybe Coldplay....although not in the same vein as BEP.

Sean said...

I did think of Coldplay although their first big song ("Yellow") debuted in 2000. I don't think "Where is the Love" was released until 2003.

If we are just going by groups that debuted this century, Coldplay would be #1 on my list.

Anonymous said...

How about Avril Levine. She's pretty hot now that she's sexed herself up a lil bit.
1) Avril Levine
2) Pussycat Dolls
3) 2 Live Crew
4) Nickelback
5) Cake

Peace, Love, B Stern Out.
"My Dad donated the Woodland Hills pool scoreboard"

Sean said...

Brian Stern! How the hell are you? What are you doing these days and where are you living? Feel free to send me a e-mail.

As for your comment, Avril is a good choice, but I was only looking for groups. 2 Live Crew and Cake have been around for at least 10 years. Pussycat Dolls are a little too new (they only have two songs) and haven't reached the BEP status yet. Nickelback is probably right on. "How You Remind Me" was played on every radio station a few years ago, and they continue to have hits that are very radio friendly.

Anonymous said...

there's this one band out of west ham called the tri-noodle syndicate. they're pretty slammin. took my lady to check them out the other night and she was like "word".