Thursday, December 29, 2005

Pittsburgh Basketball

Pitt's basketball team defeated South Carolina 58-51 last night. Even though this was not technically an upset, I have seen several national college basketball commentators criticize the Panthers for not leaving Pittsburgh yet this year for a game. On Andy Katz's "The Weekly Watch" on ESPN.com, he said, "The Panthers are undefeated. Ho-hum. Let's see what happens when they leave the city for the first time this season." So I guess Pitt earned a little respect nationally last night. Next up is a difficult game at Wisconsin on Saturday.

This may be the first and only time I discuss Carnegie Mellon University and athletics. CMU defeated Princeton 51-46 last night becoming the first Division III team to defeat the Tigers in 23 years. I don't know the actual statistics, but Division III teams do not often beat Division I teams.

No comments: