Tuesday, October 25, 2005

More Weekend Notes

As part of the tailgate, we bought a 12-pack of FMV hot dogs...for 99 cents! FMV stands for “For Maximum Value” and after doing a Google search, I saw that there was a recall of FMV hot dogs in 2002. I'm sure they are fine now, but I'm glad I had Hebrew National hot dogs instead.

Second is somewhat of a serious note. At both the tailgate and game, there were a good amount of people, both Steelers and Bengals fans, who acted inappropriately. It was mostly swearing, hand gestures and a few near fights. Most of the time, I mark it up as part of football culture, especially since a lot of alcohol is involved. However, for some reason, this year was different. I really enjoy my annual football trip and going to football games. This year, I was thinking about the future, and while I don’t have kids, I would like to take them to games when I do. From what I have seen over the past few years (Ohio State games were the worst), I do not think that football games are a good environment for kids. Maybe it was different when I was growing up because I remember people having fun and rooting for their team. Now, I see people rooting for their team but also insulting the opposing team and fans. It was probably like this when I was younger, but I guess I don’t remember it. Am I being overly sensitive or is this something other people (well, parents) think about?

No comments: