Thursday, August 11, 2005

Stealing an Idea

Yes, I am stealing the idea of this post from JQ and Contrary SOB, who stole this idea from other folks. I am listing 20 artists who would have one song (well they may have more than one, but this would be my #1 song of that artist if I had to choose only one) on my iTunes playlist or IPod, if I had iTunes or an IPod. Your job is to identify that song. I have a few one-hit wonder types and others which may be a little tricky since they have so many songs. I'll update as people answer them correctly. Have fun!

1. Bon Jovi - "Livin' on a Prayer" (Christine) - I'm not sure if this counts since two songs were selected
2. Murray Head - "One Night in Bangkok" (Christine) - I don't know any other songs by Mr. Head and company
3. Rob Base & DJ E.Z. Rock - "It Takes Two" (Christine) - Only the greatest dance song of all time!
4. Counting Crows - "Mr. Jones" (Amy) - I never get tired of this song.
5. Peter Gabriel - "Big Time" (Dan) - Fun video; I love the start of the song (Hi there).
6. Rolling Stones - "Gimme Shelter" (Nick) - Nick is on the board!
7. DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - "Summertime" (Amy) - Perfect song this time of year.
8. The Killers
9. Black Eyed Peas - "Hey Mama" (Christine)
10. Duran Duran - "Rio" (Amy)
11. Sublime - "What I Got" (Christine) - I think I first heard this song working on an all-night paper in college. I never get tired of the song, but I did get tired of staying up all night working on papers.
12. The B-52s - "Love Shack" (Christine) - My favorite karaoke song, of course I need my friend Barb as a partner.
13. Spencer Davis Band - "Gimme Some Lovin'" (Christine)
14. Michelle Branch - "Everywhere" (Amy) - This song just rocks!
15. Milli Vanilli - "Baby Don't Forget My Number" (Rob through Christine) - Love is stronger than thunder may be some of the greatest lyrics ever written.
16. Neil Diamond - "America" (Amy) - I never understood how Lee Greenwood's song is considered so more patriotic than America.
17. Dave Matthews Band
18. Tone Loc - "Funky Cold Medina" (Christine) - Tone Loc should still be recording today.
19. Beyoncé Knowles - "Crazy in Love" (Amy) - With an assist to Jay-Z.
20. Seal - "Crazy" (Dan) - Before many of the slow ballads, this was (and still is) an upbeat and catchy song.

Last updated: Monday, 10:40pm

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about these? (yes, I had too much time)
--Christine

1. Bon Jovi -- It’s My Life or Living on a Prayer
2. Murray Head -- One Night in Bangkok
3. Rob Base & DJ E.Z. Rock – It Takes Two
4. Counting Crows -- Big Yellow Taxi
5. Peter Gabriel -- Sledgehammer
6. Rolling Stones – I Can’t Get No Satisfaction
7. DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince – Parents Just Don’t Understand
8. The Killers – Smile Like You Mean It
9. Black Eyed Peas -- Hey Mama
10. Duran Duran – Hungry Like The Wolf
11. Sublime -- What I Got
12. The B-52s -- Love Shack
13. Spencer Davis Band – Gimme Some Loving
14. Michelle Branch – All You Wanted
15. Milli Vanilli – Girl You Know It’s True
16. Neil Diamond -- Sweet Caroline
17. Dave Matthews Band -- Crash
18. Tone Loc – Funky Col Medina
19. Beyoncé Knowles – Independent Woman
20. Seal – Kiss From a Rose

Archi said...

I won't guess all of 'em... and I'll skip the ones where Christine picked the same one I would.

1. Bon Jovi -- Wanted Dead or Alive
4. Counting Crows -- "Anna Begins"
5. Peter Gabriel -- "Big Time"
9. Black Eyed Peas -- Let's Get it Started
11. Sublime - The Wrong Way
12. B-52's - Roam
15. Milli Vanilli - Blame it on the Rain
20. Seal - Crazy

Sean said...

That really was a lot of guesses Christine. I'm glad that you had a lot of time! :)

Anonymous said...

My guesses for the remaining ones:

4. Counting Crows – Mr. Jones
6. Rolling Stones – You Can’t Always Get What You Want
7. DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - Summertime
10. Duran Duran - Rio
14. Michelle Branch – A Thousand Miles
15. Milli Vanilli – Girl I’m Gonna Miss You
16. Neil Diamond – America
17. Dave Matthews Band – Ants Marching
19. Beyoncé Knowles – Crazy in Love

Anonymous said...

Okay, how about these thoughts from Rob:

6. Rolling Stones - Sympathy For the Devil
7. DJ Jazzy Jeff and FreshPrince: Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble
15. Milli Vanilli - Baby Don't Forget My Number
16. Neil Diamond - Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon

Christine

Sean said...

Only four more to go; Dave Matthews Band and the Rolling Stones may be difficult since they have hundreds of songs. The Killers and Michelle Branch don't have nearly as many songs. I thought they would be the first to be guessed.

Anonymous said...

17. Dave Mathews - Ants Marching

Rob

Anonymous said...

Another shot...
Michelle Branch - Everywhere
Dave Matthews Band - Satellite
Rolling Stones - Beast of Burden

Anonymous said...

I'll go with Ruby Tuesday for the Stones one.

Nick said...

Killers can only be "Mr. Brightside." Stones? How about "Paint it Black"?

Messiah said...

I'll go with "Start Me Up" for the Stones, as we grew up listening to the opening refrains after the first hit of every home inning at Three Rivers, as well as the Windows 95 launch.

Sean said...

Paint It Black is a great guess as is Start Me Up. However, that's not it. I'll give a hint...the song I chose was played during the Stones concert I saw in San Diego about 6 years ago. In the middle of the song, there was a huge downpour, which was very appropriate for the song. The Killers and DMB songs are still open too.

Nick said...

Uhhh..."Gimme Shelter"?