Sunday, March 13, 2005

Madness of March

As most of you already know, my all-time favorite team is the Steelers. I rarely miss watching a game. There is nothing like playoff baseball when your team is involved (Pirates in 1990-1992 and the Padres in 1997). There is also a great feeling of Opening Day. The hope that this is the year for your team and the unofficial start of spring. I cannot turn away from a Penguins playoff game, especially during the four and five overtime games over the past 15 years.

But my favorite sports time of year, even when Pitt or other teams I pull for are not involved, is the first and second rounds of the NCAA Tournament, the third Thursday through Sunday of March. There is nothing like 48 basketball games in 4 days where each team knows that if they lose, the season is over. There are always numerous buzzer-beaters and upsets. Essentially, this is reality TV at its best. So even though I feel that Pitt should have been a higher seed (they have a very difficult draw), I can't wait until Thursday. I would just rather be home or out watching the games on Thursday and Friday afternoon instead of being at work.

No comments: